I totally love dahlias, and have always divided my dahlia tubers to get new plants, in fact I didn’t know there was any other way.
Recently, I stumbled across a website or two that talked about taking dahlia cuttings, so I thought I’d give it a go. I love this video. It’s quite long, but very detailed. This is a website which gives good instructions. And of course Sarah Raven has some good advice.
I have a big new cutting bed in my garden (twice the size of the previous one), so I need plenty of plants to fill it! I will also give some away, and we have a plant stall at the school summer fete, so I plan to give some to the stall to sell.
I dug up all of my dahlias this year, so I’m going to try and take a few cuttings from all of them. In particular Cafe au lait, Seniors hope and Labyrinth, which are my current favourites.
I also bought a pot luck selection of 5 tubers from The National Dahlia Collection which I’m taking cuttings from – will be interesting to see how they turn out. They’re currently labelled mystery 1, 2 etc.!
I had them in a cold greenhouse, and I brought them inside for a couple of weeks to warm them up, and then put them in some potting compost. A couple of tubers in a shallow layer of compost in trays. They are on a sunny south facing windowsill (hooray for my 1930’s house with deep windowsills).
I covered them with a plastic lid, and put them on a heated mat (mainly because it was January and pretty chilly). I only had one mat, so just kept rotating them round! I also made sure to keep them well watered, as I noticed that it definitely helped them sprout (some got dry and hadn’t sprouted, and then magically did a few days after I gave them a good water). I think it was mid January that I put them in the compost.
It only took a couple of weeks to get them to sprout (pics below are end of January), and I kept the plastic lids on until they got too big.
By mid February they were ready to start taking cuttings. The ones below were taken on 18th February, and in reality could have been taken earlier, but I was on holiday!
They are in a mix of potting compost and vermiculite, and I just cut them close to the tuber, and took off the lowest few leaves.
I actually cut off more leaves a couple of days later, put them on some capillary matting and on the heated mat. They look a bit more bald, but it should enable them to make roots quicker, as they won’t need to feed as many leaves.
These are what the tubers look like after I took the cuttings. You can see that there are loads more ready to come.
A few weeks later (12th March), and the cuttings are looking great. Only a few losses (Cafe au Lait is proving a bit tricky)
It’s really interesting to see how the tubers have sprouted loads of new shoots since I took the cuttings. In the second picture below you can see where I cut the first shoot, and how loads of new shoots have sprouted from the base.
I’m really thrilled about how easy it is to create loads of new dahlias from a single tuber. I’ve also been reading about keeping small tubers of favourite dahlias in 4 inch pots so you can take cuttings from the same tuber each year (which would allow me to leave the rest in the ground), so I think I will try that too. Not sure how they will overwinter in pots, but I will cross that bridge next Winter!